Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Duggars: 20 & Counting!


Title: The Duggars: 20 and Counting!
Author: Michelle & Jim Bob Duggar
Series: None
Genre: Non-Fiction


I've always enjoyed watching TLC, they seem to have some interesting shows. Many years back I stumbled upon the first special on the Duggar family, a family with (at the time) 14 kids and one on the way. Since then I've caught each of their specials. However, recently, they've started a weekly show on TLC. I don't make a point to watch it, because it conflicts with something else I watch, but I do catch it on occasion.

The family, their values, beliefs, and systems just amaze me. So when I learned that they had written a book (with 18 then, now 19 kids) I just had to pick it up and see what they had to say.

I was a bit worried about the religious aspect of their book, I know that's a big part of who they are. It wasn't a problem. I really enjoyed getting a look into their lives and seeing the little things and ways they accomplish things that we don't always see (or perhaps not in detail) in the show. It tells Jim Bob and Michelle's stories from childhood to marriage and beyond. They are very detailed about how much they have paid for things and 100% committed to not borrowing money ever. Way to go them!

It includes some of their famous recipes, a few of which we already make at home that I didn't know they also made. I did find it frustrating that each recipe is written down for the whole family. When I'm cooking it's not for 20 people, but 5. I'm a math person, sure I can cut the recipe down, but I would have liked to see it already that way.

They also include answers to emails that they get. Some of which I thought were dumb, "How did Josh propose to Anna?" Hello, that is an episode. We don't need to know that. Some interesting, "Doesn't Jana get tired of being everyone's big sister and spending so much time helping younger siblings instead of enjoying her own interests?" and some I wish they would have addressed, "What happens when the girls want to go swimming?"

Overall, it was a quick read and a fascinating look at one large family.

No comments: