Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tales of the Otherworld


Title: Tales of the Otherworld
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: Women of the Otherworld Accompaniment
Genre: Paranormal



There were several short stories packed into this book. Some better then others. I'm not entirely sure what Kelley Armstrong was trying to achieve in this book. I know they are her e-serials packaged together in a book form, but some of the stories were so short and without real plot that I wasn't sure why they even really exist.

Rebirth
A mere 18 pages in length, I thought this was definitely one of the weaker stories. Told from the point of view of Aaron, we learn about his brief struggle with being a vampire in the first year of his life and how he met Cassandra. Decent for a little character building, but really doesn't explain the relationship that they have now.

Bewitched
Told from Eve's point of view, this was one of the better stories. I feel like we know little about Eve, especially her life. I enjoyed learning how she and Kristof got together and how Savannah came about. A real eye opening to Savannah's relationship with her actual "grandfather" who refuses to acknowledge her.

Birthright
Logan has been dead for as long as I can remember in the series. We know he was a good friend of Elena's and that she was upset when he died. This is another quickie, where we learn where Logan came from and how he came to be part of the pack. I personally always love a good pack story.

Beginnings
The longest story and I am happy to say the best. Told from both Clay and Elena's point of view we get to learn how they met. Their entire story is told from the time when they didn't know each other to the point where Elena is bitten. A beautiful prequel to Bitten.

Expectations
Another quickie at 14 pages that in my opinion falls flat. Lucas hears out a man who wants him to steal a grimoire because it is in the hands of a witch. Logan does so and ends up meeting Eve, who he is stealing from.

Ghosts
The shortest of them all at 10 pages, we get a brief look into Jeremy's mind.

Wedding Bell Hell
Lucas and Paige meet and eventually get married in the series, but we never actually get to be part of the series. This remedies that and is quite humorous.

The Cast of El Chupacabra
The second longest in the series and only okay by my standards. It encompasses several known characters: Savannah, Sean, Paige, Lucas, Cassandra and more. A murder mystery surrounding Vampires and Chupacabra.

Having LOVED the Men of the Otherworld I was very excited by this and thought that overall it did not live up to my expectations. However, it was a nice way to keep my mind fresh with the characters while waiting for the next story in the installment.

No comments: