Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Drums of Autumn


Title: Drums of Autumn
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Outlander (Book 4)
Genre: Historical Romance/Time Travel



Jamie and Claire make their way north and carve out a little part of the wilderness for themselves calling it Fraser's Ridge. Their story of learning to live off the land in a new place reminds me of reading Little House in the Big Woods when I was younger. I loved hearing about how they built their new home and all of the trials that went along with it.

Even though it didn't happen until halfway through the book - the meat of it to me was Brianna. She finds out that Jamie and Claire die in a house fire and decides to go through the stones and tell them. She meets everyone at Lollybroch and eventually meets her father and is reunited with her mother. I thought that it was beautiful and felt a little misty-eyed at her moments with Jamie.

Roger realizes what she's done and hops through the stones after her. His journey to Clair/Jamie/Brianna isn't nearly as easy as Brianna's. Again there seems to be problem after problem, although this time mostly in regards to Brianna and Roger. It was nice to see the story slightly shift focus to them without loosing the focus on Jamie and Claire.

I did feel, however, that something was left out. Brianna went back because of the fire, yet I feel like that date never came around in this book. It left it a little open ended for me. Hopefully that will be rectified in the next book. Perhaps it was mentioned and I just missed it?

No comments: