Monday, August 9, 2010

A Breath of Snow and Ashes


Title: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Outlander (Book 6)
Genre: Historical Romance/Time Travel


The families on Fraser's Ridge are still in full swing. There is the impending doom of the Civil War, and Jamie's ability to walk the line and needing the learn when to change sides. The Civil War doesn't completely break out in this book, I'm thinking that's the next installment.

I loved the way that Claire, Brianna and Roger try to make things around the Ridge a little more "modern." Brianna's "invention" of matches, Roger making little toy Vrooms (cars) and Claire's continued research with Penicillin and her newest - ether. I really felt like this helped to connect to the characters, because they're going through the same thing that I would be thinking about it I found myself in the 1700's in America.

As with all the Outlander books, there is death, marriage, new babies and skirmishes. All following the lives of this group of people following somewhat of a story line, but not completely. We finally come to the fated day of Claire and Jamie's death as "foretold" by the newspaper.

I thought this was another fantastic addition to the series. I feel like the books have been either hit or miss, but this one was mostly another hit. I was a little disappointed in the events that led up to the ending, but depending on what happens in the next book it could work out okay.

No comments: