Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Midsummer Magic


Title: Midsummer Magic
Author: Catherine Coulter
Series: Magic Series (Book 1)
Genre: Historical Romance



Hawk's father has a debt to pay to a Scottish man who saved his life. He promised him that one of his son's would marry one of his daughters. Hawk sets off for Scottland to meet the Scottish daughters and choose his bride.

There are 3 daughters, two of which are excited to meet the Lord and try to look their best and be exactly what he wants (so they think) in a wife. The third, Frances, does not want to marry and move away so she dresses horribly, hiding her beauty with glasses and dowdy clothing. It backfires on her when Hawk chooses her anyway. He figures he can marry her and leave her in the country while he goes back to London and his mistress.

Eventually Frances comes out of her shell, to her husbands surprise and they find themselves in the middle of a mystery full of murder and attempted harm due to a racing horse farm that they own.

This is the first time I've ever read anything by Catherine Coulter. I picked her up simply because she had a lot of books at the library. Too many times I come across an author who I love and they've only come out with a limited amount of books that I go through too fast. I was hoping to find another love that had many books out.

That being said, the story line was overall acceptable but there was something missing. The two main characters never really in my opinion feel in love. In most romance novels there is this point when the characters take the plunge and profess their undying love for each other and their relationship changes dramatically. I never found that to happen in this book. The two never professed their love, and Hawk continued to boss Frances around in a overbearing way without that, "I'm just doing it because I love you so much" mentality. Not to mention that he essentially rapes her the first few times in their marriage.

I've read that this is not totally common in her books so I'm going to finish off the series and perhaps read another set by her.

No comments: