Monday, October 20, 2008

Immortals: The Calling


Title: The Calling
Author: Jennifer Ashley
Series: Immortals (Book 1)
Genre: Paranormal Romance



Between my extra time yesterday and a bit this morning I read Immortals: The Calling by Jennifer Ashley.

In The Calling we meet Adrian who is an Immortal, a demi-god. His purpose is to keep the balance of life-magic (think good magic) and death-magic (bad magic) in equal balance. He's been around for hundreds upon hundreds of years. Then 700 years ago his brother goes missing - lured away by a demon. Adrian has made it his life quest to find out what happened to his brother and save him.

While looking for his brother he meets Amber - a witch who is looking for revenge for her dead sister. Together they find his brother, although I'll leave it at that.

There are some things that I thought were interesting in this story that it had in common with other things I've read. They talked about the Celtic Unseelie (the Fever Series), a Book of Shadows (Charmed) , calling a circle based on four elements (House of Night Series) and some other things that I just can't remember at the moment.

I know some of the other books that are out now (which I do intend to pick up in the near future after I'm done with a few others I already have waiting) are each in turn about one of Adrian's brothers but starting with Book 5 the cover changes from having the purpley overlay on the covers to a red one - wonder if it is from a death-magic point of view? There are currently six out, with a seventh to be released November 2008 and an eighth March 2009.

One thing that I am NOT excited about regarding this series - each of the books is written not by Jennifer Ashely, but by one of three different authors. As I haven't read the other ones yet, I can't put say if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm going in worried.

I was put off by the cover of this book (and all the following ones) and I haven't decided if I LOVE it - but I enjoyed it enough to follow through with the rest of the series. Now I must say that after reading Young Adult Literature for the past couple of series this book was a shocker. It was chock full of long descriptive steamy scenes.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I find the speed at which you plow through these books to be insane. I wish I had that kind of time :).