Sunday, October 26, 2008

Georgina Kincaid Series

What an interesting twist of fate. Most of the books I'm currently waiting to read are on hold at my local library. So when I went this past week, I decided to just walk the aisles and pick up the books that look interesting to me without doing prior research. The hard part about this, is I've done it several times before and I'm always drawn to the same books that I've already taken out and read.

So I walk around and come across these 2 books on the shelf that obviously go together (YES! a series!) I pull them down. Read them and decided to see what else Richelle Mead (the author) wrote. Vampire Academy - yes...the book I put down the other day. What a coincidence. I really enjoyed this series too, maybe the author's not so bad after all :)

First thought out of my mind when I picked up this book - what is a Succubus, I'm going to have to look it up. Then I flip the back over and its says:

Succubus (n.)
An alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasure mortal men.

Apparently according to Wikipedia this is a real word.
Wow - how could I not want to read this book? Georgina Kincaid is an immortal demon who sucks the life out of men. This gives her major energy and the ability to shape shift and basically live - too bad it has cost her soul. The men feel drained, sleep for days and loose years off their lives. What a life.

She works in a bookstore - meets and falls for a famous author and has a sort of supernatural puzzle to figure out. Someone is picking of the immortals - who is it? What can she do to help?

Unfortunately I found the story to be a bit easy to foreshadow, but I still highly enjoyed it.

Book 2 in the series has a lot of focus on Georgina and her now author boyfriend. Big problem when you're an adult and you can't even kiss your man. Talk about sexual struggles.

There is also another paranormal mystery to figure out. Something weird is going on with her coworkers and we meet an incubus (the male version of a succubus). This one definitely had a lot of "aww cute!" moments.

Now I found these books in the Fiction section - they are not considered romance. This leads me to wonder what is it that makes the choice to what the books are considered? In my opinion these books deserve the Romance label a lot more than say the Fever series. Can't figure that one out.

Upon further investigation (plus the little plug at the end of the book) I learn that there is a third book that came out this month! Yay!

Unfortunately - my library doesn't have this one, nor does it have the book on order yet (that I can see on their website). I could buy it, I really like this series, but I need to stop buying new books that are in the middle of a series. Then I feel the need to buy the rest of the books in the series and let's be honest - I have lots of books and I don't necessarily need that many more.

Either way - I am highly looking forward to this one, especially since currently the amazon rating is 5 stars!

2 comments:

Jill said...

You need to refresh on your Charmed, Lady. Season 2 Prue turned into a Man so they could find the Succubus and vanquish her. :)

Jill said...

Oh yes, and I'm going to steal your bookshelf thing because wow that is damn cool!