Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pretties & Specials


Title: Pretties
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Series: Uglies (Book 2)
Genre: Young Adult


I finally finished the next two books in the Uglies trilogy - Pretties and Specials.

Pretties follows Tally after she has become a Pretty. She is living in Pretty town with Peris, Shay and her new friends the Crims. They party, they drink and life is great. That is until Tally gets a surprise visit from one of the old Smokies. He sends her and her new friend Zane (who I love, especially in the next book) on a wild chase to find a letter that Tally wrote to herself and two pills for the cure. She and Zane split the cure, each taking one pill. Of course they eventually get into trouble and try to run from the city to New Smoke.

Now, I enjoyed this book about Tally's pretty days, although I almost wish we would have learned more about PrettyTown before she took the cure. I suppose, that would have been less interesting then the excitement of running from the city.


Title: Specials
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Series: Uglies (Book 2)
Genre: Young Adult


Next up was Specials, which I must say, I liked the least of the three books. Tally has become an all power force as a special part of Special Circumstances. She bows down to Shay's rule, who is nothing like the Shay from book one or even book 2. I felt that this story really showed their heartless side (which is what they were suppose to be, so good job on that) but I just didn't feel as invested in their story. That did eventually change near the end of the book. I do feel that this was a good "ending" to the trilogy though, to me it just fit.

As I was searching the net I came across a website that has the last chapter of Specials with the authors commentary. http://www.behindthepulse.com/uglies/specialschapterfinalB.pdf I thought that there were a few interesting thoughts in it. One thing I didn't notice was the last word in the book Uglies was pretty, in Pretties was special and in Specials was ugly.

One thing that did weird me out about this book was that when I opened it, the Tally on the cover's (I assume it's her) left eye looked at me from behind the pages. Since the pages didn't totally cover her eye, she was always watching me. I don't know if that was done on purpose or not, but once I noticed it I couldn't not notice.

I'm currently working on reading the fourth book - which isn't about Tally at all (This I am sad about), but does take place in the same city a few years later.

No comments: