Friday, December 30, 2011

Mockingjay


Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games (Book 3)
Genre: Young Adult



After Katniss shoots the arrow into the force field in Catching Fire, she is airlifted out to District 13. That's right, District 13 does exist and it's been built entirely underground. It is the home of the rebellion against the Capitol and Katniss is going to become the Mockingjay - and figurehead to the rebellion.

This book started out simply lukewarm for me. I didn't like that Peeta was missing (I mean nonexistent in the book - we know he's at the Capitol) and that Katniss had all this time with Gale that was missing all of the warmth and humor that she has with Peeta. Learning about District 13 was interesting enough, but when the battle started it went downhill from there.

When Katniss is actually placed in battle near the Capitol, it was the beginning of the end for me. I didn't like all the nasty things that happened during the battle. I understand that it was war, but it wasn't simply killing but the way people were killed and tortured. It was disturbing. When the end of the book came, I set it down and didn't want to go to sleep because I felt so disturbed.

I felt as if the trilogy was amazing - but that it started on a high point and went down from there. Mockingjay was definitely my least favorite book of the three.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hi, Jen! I wish I could comment on The Hunger Games...they are on my list of "must read soon" right behind me finishing Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and the second of the "dragon tatoo" books! If only I had more time...silly work and blogging! :)

Anyways, I wanted to get back to you regarding the comment on my blog and couldn't find an e-mail address for you. As you probably know, blogger makes it VERY difficult to comment on others' comments, which is frustrating for me!

With regards to a "sarahbar" or something similar without dates, I honestly think the Pina Colada ones could be made without the dates at all. I could hardly taste them, really, just used them because I was used to it, and I think they are less sticky when ground up than some other fruits. I think that you could try just using pineapple, or dried strawberries, which have the same texture. It would be worth playing around with the mango-flavored pineapple if you can find it, or diced papaya also. I think they would hold the nuts and whatnot together well! [You could even try dried peaches or pears, or cranberries or cherries..just as long as they aren't tough or lacking in moisture I think they would do the job!]

Hope that helps...