Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Dance Through Time


Title: A Dance Through Time
Author: Lynn Kurland
Series: MacLeod (Book 1)
Genre: Time Travel, Historical Romance



Elizabeth is engaged to a "wimp" of a man who has readily admitted that he never actually wants to get married. She is fed up with her small NYC apartment and has just dreamed about her dream guy. When she awakens, she finds that she can still hear his voice and thinks she's going a bit crazy. She decides to take a walk and then take a nap on a bench in the park. Surprisingly, when she wakes up, she has found her self in 14th century Scotland.

Jamie MacLeod is the laird of the keep. One of his rules, passed down from his father, is no women in the keep. When his trusted adviser, Angus brings a woman home, Jamie is none to pleased. She is kept briefly in his chamber before he decides to throw her into the dungeon/pit.

Eventually Jamie has a turn of heart and lets her out. The two struggle to find a comfortable relationship, with Jamie being hard headed and at times rude and Elizabeth wishing for some romance, but with a spine of steal. The two come to the time when Jamie should have died, but lived because Elizabeth is in his time. The two then decide to jump forward to Elizabeth's time.

After reading this book, I really wish I would have read them in order. There were little things that I remembered from books further in the series that connected with this one. Such as the Inn/Innkeeper where Madelyn (Garden in the Rain) stays at is the same place Elizabeth and Jamie stay when they come to the future.

One thing I did struggle with, is I felt the Jamie of this book was nothing like the Jamie of the books later in the series. Maybe his being with Elizabeth has mellowed him 0ut and that's why he's slightly different in my opinion.

I find it interesting that usually I love the first book of a series the best. I always wondered if it had something to do with the author writing the book first or because I read it first. Although I did enjoy A Dance Through Time, I feel like I enjoyed some of the later novels more. This also could have something to do with the fact that there are more familiar characters later on, where in this book there are very few.

I do admit that this book had me both laughing aloud as well as crying (while waiting for a orthodontist appointment ...how embarrassing) It still was of the PG-13 nature that I now know the author is known for, although it is a little more intense sexually then her later books, which she has addressed on her website.

No comments: