Friday, March 12, 2010

Outlander


Title: Outlander
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Outlander (Book 1)
Genre: Historical Romance/Time Travel



Exactly 11 months ago I read Outlander, and reviewed it here. I have decided to try and read the entire Outlander series based on a Reading Challenge I joined here. I've always heard such good things about this series and decided to give it another go.

Instead of recapping again what it was about - I noticed a few different things this time around.

I don't recall crying the first time through. I may have and don't remember, but I definitely cried a few times and felt much more connected to the characters. I don't know why that is, perhaps because I already knew the characters and was able to get more into their story.

Last time I read Outlander, I read it in a hardcover. This time around I read a digital edition (from the library) on my Sony Reader. It was amazing. I loved not having to lug around the huge book, and get sore wrists from holding the weight up as I was reading. Even better? The dictionary function. Every so often when reading books that are set far into the past, or in a different country I run across words that I'm not entirely sure what they mean.

For example, in Outlander at some point they referred to an oxter. Not a clue as to what that was, but I double clicked and up came the definition: armpit. Fantastic! It didn't have every word that I looked for, since some are quite obscure, but it definitely helped.

One thing I loved about Outlander is that you really get to see the characters mature and grow. I feel like most Romance Novels end when the two characters realize that they are in love, getting married or what not. You never get to see the "real life" part of it, where they have to test their love by going through many difficulties. You may get one or two that are part of bringing them together, but never the bombardment that we get with Outlander.

I tried reading Dragonfly in Amber last time and just didn't get very far. I feel quite refreshed by Outlander this time around, however, and feel like I am ready for Dragonfly. Bring it on :)

No comments: