Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hotter After Midnight


Title: Hotter After Midnight
Author: Cynthia Eden
Series: Midnight (Book 1)
Genre: Paranormal Romance




I define a good romance novel as one of those books that when you're finished your heart is pounding, feels big and in love. Not all romance novels leave me feeling this way - but Cynthia Eden's Hotter After Midnight was definitely one of those. I sat down and read it cover to cover, an increasing rarity in my life.

Emily is a psychiatrist, with a twist. She can see inside the mind of Others, so those are the only ones she treats. Vampires with blood phobias, a succubus who wants a meaningful relationship, as well as shifters (think werewolf), charmers and a slew of other paranormal. She helps them all.

Colin is a shifter, I won't spoil what kind - it's a bit of a mystery until further in the story, although I was pretty sure I knew and I was correct. He works for the police department and is sent to pick up the Monster Doctor, Emily, to work on a case that is part of the paranormal. Not everyone in the story is aware of the Others, so they have to keep it underwraps.

Things go a bit haywire and soon Emily finds herself as a big target for the killer they're tracking. Needless to say her shifter man wants to keep her safe.

I thought this was an excellent story, with just the right amount of mystery to it. Their love story to me was front and center and there are lots of excellently steamy scenes between the two. My only issue with the book, and I'm being picky, is her use of the word "cream." To me, it was just not right.

This is the first book in a trilogy with the second, Midnight Sins, already released and a third Midnight Masters set to be released July 1st. Midnight Sins revolves around the Succubus who wants a meaningful relationship, Cara, that we meet in an interview with Emily in Hotter After Midnight. Definitely a book I'm looking forward too.

No comments: