Sunday, February 1, 2009

Guilty Pleasures


Title: Guilty Pleasures
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake Vampire Hunter (Book 1)
Genre: Paranormal



My latest read, Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton is the first in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. It was an interesting read, and by interesting I mean it had an odd kinky sexual vibe to it.

It follows Anita Blake, who raises the dead for a living. She also works with the police, hunts down and kills vampires. In this book Vampires have been recognized to exist. And not only vampires but also wereanimals (rats, wolves, ect.), ghouls and other creatures of the night.

There has been a killing spree of vampires and the oldest vampire in the city (a whopping 1,000+ years old) "hires" Anita to find out who's doing it. It's not nearly as simple as it sounds and I felt like I was running around a bit crazed the whole time. There are "freaks" people who like to be bitten/blood sucked/sexually used by vampires. To me it just seemed like the story was going to turn into some all out sexual encounter. It didn't, there weren't even any steamy scenes. The one thing I did enjoy was the relationship between Anita and Jean Claude. I wouldn't say it was a bad book, it just had a different vibe to me.

Not entirely sure I want to read any more into the series, although I'll probably try at least the next book, apparently it's suppose to get even better.

No comments: