Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Lightning Thief


Title: The Lightening Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Book 1)
Genre: Juvenile Fiction



Wow - two posts, one day. I really enjoyed the book I finished today, The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. It is the first book in the Percy and the Olympians series. This series is for late elementary/early middle school readers.

In this installment Percy learns that he is a demi-god. His father is Poseidon and he enrolls in a Half Blood Summer Camp. Here he meets other demi-gods and starts to hone (only a bit) his abilities. We learn that there is a War about to be had between the Big 3 - Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. Zeus had a main thunderbolt that was the inspiration for all other thunderbolts, and it has been stolen. This is the story of Percy's quest to find the thunderbolt, bring it back and stop the war. Of course it doesn't happen nearly as easily as that.

I wish that I knew more about Greek Mythology, and while I know enough, it would be easier to see connections and follow things if I was well versed. The book does explain things well, though for those who are not.

There will only be 5 books in the series and the final one comes out May 2009.

I have a younger brother in fifth grade, and I am definitely going to recommend this series to him. I think it had a very action packed story line and was a quick and easy read (for me). I want to dive right into the next book and am heading off to the library ASAP to pick it up.

This is also going to be a movie (hurray!). Current release date is Feb 12, 2010 according to IMDB.

No comments: