Monday, September 5, 2011

Sisterhood Everlasting


Title: Sisterhood Everlasting
Author: Ann Brashares
Series: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Book 5)
Genre: Young Adult


My last few years of high school and through college, I read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. At a later date I was given them as a Christmas gift from a close friend. I've read the four original books and while I enjoyed them to some degree always seemed to have a difficult time keeping the four characters separate. When I heard that there was another book, with the girls on the verge of turning 30, I picked it up to read it.

I can't really give much explanation about the story line, it's one of those stories where you're not sure where it's going, nor how it's going to get there. Little by little it is revealed.

What I will say, is that the book for me was horribly depressing. I felt like up until the last few chapters, it was all doom, gloom and depression. We see the girls floundering around not having any direction and being overall confused with life. Being close to their age currently myself, I was shocked to see how juvenile they all seemed to be portrayed. Sure maybe one of them could be that way, but all of them?

Then the last few chapters, everything is wrapped up perfectly. Everyone lives together, one big happy family. How is it that 3 of the girls end up with the boys that they met in their early years? They all met their significant others by the time they were 15? I understand that's probably due to pleasing the readers and having them have an investment in the men in the story, but still very unrealistic.

No comments: