Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Taming of the Duke


Title: The Taming of the Duke
Author: Eloisa James
Series: Essex Sisters (Book 3)
Genre: Historical Romance


Imogen has been trying to have an affair ever since her husband Draven died, now she finally gets the chance.

The sisters' guardian, Rafe, finds out that he has a illegitimate brother and welcomes him most graciously into the family. To help his brother, Rafe agrees to put on a play in the family theatre, bringing a whole troupe of characters to the house.

Imogen meets the brother, Gabe, and decides that he is going to be her next conquest. She arranges to meet with him and go to a bawdy show. Gabe appeals to Rafe and convinces him to wear a mustache and go instead. Rafe deceives Imogen and manages to fall in love with her while doing so. The problem becomes, having her for keeps and coming clean about the deception.

I was largely torn with my emotions concerning this book, and as I did some further research, it seemed I wasn't the only one. Although, for totally different reasons.

There seems to be some controversy on the story. How Imogen could want Rafe when she thought she was having an affair with Gabe? I can't say too much more about it, without ruining the story, but I was never surprised and saw the ending coming.

Upon checking out Eloisa's website and signing up for the Members only section, I see that she added a bonus chapter for the book (I think to help clear things up), as well as a "Spoiler Trail" for the readers to see where her thinking was in the book. Interesting that the extra chapter was already in the book I read. It wasn't extra to me at all. I don't know if it's because I read a digital version of the book? Perhaps this changed my perception of the book for a good thing? Because I honestly enjoyed the disguises between the characters.

The thing I had a hard time was seeing Rafe in a relationship with one of his wards. I knew it was going to happen and has suspicions it would be Imogen. However, the thought of a guardian (even though it was recent and they were older) marrying his ward was just too weird to me. I know it was acceptable...but my modern thinking just tripped over this.

No comments: