Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dragonfly In Amber


Title: Dragonfly In Amber
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Series: Outlander (Book 2)
Genre: Historical Romance/Time Travel



Claire has made it back to her present day. We don't know why, we don't know when - that is what we learn throughout the book. She lived her life with Frank, now deceased, and her daughter Brianna. Brianna seems to be a dead ringer for Jamie, with many of the same habits and looks.

Claire has brought Brianna to Scotland to show her where she came from and to tell her the truth. We read the story as Claire tells it to Brianna.

Claire knew that there was going to be a bloodshed in a battle of the Highlanders vs. the English. She and Jamie have decided to do all that they can to stop the battle from ever occurring. Of course they can't change fate - and Jamie leads her to the stones to go home so that he may meet his fate alone and Claire can live with their unborn child.

Brianna is angry and doesn't believe Claire. Fortunately, Gilly (from Outlander) hasn't yet left for the past and Brianna, Claire and Roger (who Claire also decides to tell) managed to get there just in time to see her pass through.

I tried to read this book after the first time that I read Outlander. I couldn't get through the beginning of it. This time the beginning didn't give me much trouble, but I did have an issue with some of the middle and end. There was a lot of political and war talk. These people joining and fighting, many different royals. To me it was too confusing and I had a hard time muddling through it. The rest of the story I loved - the interaction between the characters I already knew, and seeing them live their lives.

The last 60 pages or so of the book had to have been my favorite. I cried and just had to stay up that extra time to finish the story.

Now that the war has happened - I hope that Voyager will be a little less war centered.

No comments: