Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hunger


Title: Hunger
Author: Michael Gran
Series: Gone (Book 2)
Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction



It's three months after that adults "poofed" and food is running low. No more candy, cookies or ice cream for these kids. Now it's a jar of Relish or Can of gravy if you're lucky. Unfortunately, this doesn't look good for the neighborhood pets/strays. Although it's not described or mentioned directly, there are enough hints to know that just about all pets/strays have also been eaten.

In addition to the food shortages, it appears that the normal kids are getting powers as well. Most seem to be for defensive/survival reasons. Not to mention the continuing mutation of the animals in the area.

There is a little less of Caine vs. Sam in this book, but it does come up again, giving this book a suspenseful ending.

There is a quote on one of the books' cover that says this is like a modern day Lord of the Flies. To me this was a huge turn off. I hated that book in high school. It's one of the few books that I just can't stand. Although I had such strong feelings about that book and such mild ones about the Gone series, after this installment, I totally see why it is marketed as that.

I highly enjoyed learning more about the FAYZ and why exactly this is all happening. It has a fairly reasonable (as reasonable as a science fiction story can be) explanation behind it all. Again, I had somewhat of a hard time getting through the book - it was interesting enough that I wanted to continue to read it, but not so much that I couldn't put it down or would go out of my way to read it.

At the end it appears that the kids are trying to start to recreate some sort of civilization in the FAYZ. I'm guessing their world will continue to crumble in the final story - Lies.

No comments: