Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pretty Little Liars


Title: Pretty Little Liars
Author: Sara Shepard
Series: Pretty Little Liars (Book 1)
Genre: Young Adult



While looking for new challenges to start in the new year I came across one for the Pretty Little Liars series. I had never read the series before, so I went to the library and picked it up.

Four girls follow a fifth who is the Queen Bee. Then said Bee disappears. Years down the road the girls are no longer friends. They encounter all sorts of growing up challenges: underage drinking, driving drunk, shop lifting, relationships with a teacher, sexual confusion and stealing a sister's boyfriend.

Sounds like a drama filled book. I only have an issue with the way the book ended. The girls start getting text messages from the Queen Bee early on in the book. You think it's resolved at the end, but surprise...it's not. I felt like that left the book without an ending. I know it's part of a long series, but usually books even within a series have their own little mini story. I didn't feel that way about this one and I don't want to have to read all 7+ books to get the full story if I'm left hanging every time.

I may or may not follow up on this series, it just wasn' t that special.

No comments: